Today I had created a Media/Press Kit for NEXUS to send to “Fine Print” show. Their web address is http://www.rogerstelevision.com/option.asp?lid=12&rid=16&sid=265.
I was impressed by the show host, Carolyn Weaver, who was engaged and intelligent in her interviews with guests, which is why I have asked for an interview for Debby and I on her show. Of course, they get many such requests by authors and publishers. So we’re not guaranteed an interview.
In case anyone is wondering what exactly is a Media Kit. A Media Kit is basically a package you send to media outlets about you and your book. The idea is to promote your book to the media. A typical Media Kit can contain any of the following:
1 . A personalized cover letter. Much like what you send to a employer except this is about you and your book
2. Relevant press releases & clippings including articles or interviews
3. Author bio-sheet: What’s so interesting about you?
4. Samples questions and answers
5. Fact or sell sheet, which contains basic info about your book
6. Any marketing material
7. Schedule of appearances, events or book signings
8. Author potrait photo(s) including any from events
9. Review copy of your book, sample chapters, or you can ask them to request a review copy if you’re uncertain whether they want it
Most Media/Press kits will be prepared by your publisher but I believe it’s good for an author to be involved in the promotions. Debby and I have a good relationship with our publisher. So we’re able to work well with him.