We wish everyone Happy Holidays and our best for the New Year!!!
The holidays has many expectations around it. It is a time of joy, cheer, and a time for family and friends. Yet this time for some can be a period of depression, anxiety, self-evaluation and loneliness. These emotions can increase over the holidays with increased stresses, high expectations and fatigue. Emotions can be at an all time high and low.
Some reasons that can contribute to depression during this period include:
- Separation and divorce can leave you alone over the holidays
- Painful reminders of losing a loved one
- Unresolved conflict can come to the surface
- The added costs can create financial pressures, especially when the bills come in the New Year
- The increased activity and expectations can lead to higher physical and emotional stress
Some stresses are unavoidable, still you can exercise control through strategies:
- Recognize your loss instead of denying it and seek support from family members, friends, or people in your community
- Set aside disputes for now and consider whether you can forgive yourself for any hurt or pain you caused someone. Can you forgive another person for causing you pain or hurt? Forgiveness is a mighty step toward healing your heart
- Set a clear budget for the holiday season and stick to it
- Manage your time wisely and don’t cram too many obligations together
- Recognize that unrealistic expectations can lead to frustration, so set expectations that are realistic
- You have a mind willing to create positive change in your life. You are a plant that always finds the way to light
Depression, despair, loneliness and hopelessness are never permanent fixtures of the mind. They like clouds casting a shadow in time pass to reveal rays of hope.
In our novel, Nexus, the journey of each person gives hope, faith and strength. Nexus also has a timely message of love and compassion. It’s a unique journey that’s a perfect read over the Holiday Season.
Peace and blessings,
Arvind & Deborah